I have been lobbying strongly to support a bill pertaining to the end-of-life options decision a terminal person may or may not decide to choose. Under current law, a terminal patient is left with only two choices: either decide to suffer, dwindling down to nothing while swimming in an ocean of pain and uncertainty, or, alternately, choose to end one’s life by suicide – a grizzly, gory, nasty decision that is not made with family members. It is often a shock and it negates any possibility of an insurance policy ever being paid out. This decision becomes a permanent, nightmarish memory leaving the family members who are left behind scarred forever.
Delaware House Bill 160 may be voted on next week and will give terminal patients another option. House Bill 160 will allow terminal patients the option of choosing their end-of-life decision with their doctor. This means that they might obtain prescriptions that will send them into permanent slumber, freeing them to die with dignity. Many accuse this bill of being an assisted suicide legislature, but this is not so. This will be an educated decision made between two doctors and family of the terminal patient. It will allow insurance companies to consider the fact that these patients were terminal, meaning that they were definitely going to die. The question becomes when and how they die.The Green party of Delaware supports HB 160, and agrees that terminal patients’ inalienable civil rights need to be recognized by allowing them the freedom to choose their end-of-life options with the aid of their physician.
We recognize that advances in science have created medical interventions that often increase suffering and prolong the dying process. We believe in securing social justice for all people and so believe that citizens have the right to choose their end-of-life options. Medical aid in dying enables a mentally competent, terminally ill adult other options in the face of unbearable, inevitable suffering. We recognize that the choices a person makes at the end of life are inalienably grounded in that individual’s life experience and values.
In summation, the Green Party of Delaware is committed to supporting civil rights, which are protected under our constitution. I beg you, if you are able to spare the time, to come with me next Thursday to lobby legislative hall. The mission supersedes any past qualms I may have with some of you. I ask that you forgive me, for the day, to make an appointment with you house rep. and your state senator, so Greens, Dems, Independents, etc. might show our collaborative support at this critical time for this historic legislation.
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat123456789101112131415161718202122232425262728
- NRC Report: Unknown near Salisbury, MD February 14, 2018Incident Type: MOBILE - NRC Report ID: 1203156 - Medium Affected: - Suspected Responsible Party: TRANSERVICE
- NRC Report: Paint near Baltimore, MD February 14, 2018Incident Type: VESSEL - NRC Report ID: 1203469 - Medium Affected: WATER - Suspected Responsible Party:
- NRC Report: Unknown Oil near Manhattan, NY February 14, 2018Incident Type: FIXED - NRC Report ID: 1203988 - Medium Affected: SUBSURFACE - Suspected Responsible Party: CONSOLIDATED EDISON COMPANY OF NEW YORK
- NRC Report: Unknown Oil near Linden, NJ February 14, 2018Incident Type: FIXED - NRC Report ID: 1203720 - Medium Affected: SOIL - Suspected Responsible Party: BUCKEYE PIPELINE
- NRC Report: Oil: Diesel near Woodstock, PA February 14, 2018Incident Type: MOBILE - NRC Report ID: 1203154 - Medium Affected: SOIL - Suspected Responsible Party: ALABAMA MOTOR EXPRESS
- NRC Report: Unknown near Salisbury, MD February 14, 2018